MCC desires to engage a qualified independent contractor to research and develop a virtual church program for MCC that functions synergistically with local churches and to manage the start-up. The contract will begin immediately upon engaging and is expected to end no later than 31 December 2015. The contractor will be accountable to the Director of the Office of Emerging Ministries.
It is expected that the contractor will engage collaboratively with existing MCC staff and volunteers to:
Phase 1: Assessment and investigation
- Identify the needs of people inside and outside of MCC that could be best met virtually by the denomination and those that could be best met virtually by churches.
- Identify the MCC congregations that provide effective, high-quality virtual ministries.
- Identify what kinds of support are needed by churches that would like to begin or to enhance virtual ministry.
- Research what other denominations provide in the way of virtual programming for outreach and their possible application within the MCC context.
- Research how mobile apps and social media can be used even more effectively by local churches and by the denomination to enhance accessibility to MCC, to increase effective communications, as a marketing tool, and as a fund-development tool.
Deliverable: Research report that documents the findings
Phase 2: Recommend
- Use the learning identified in the investigation to develop a detailed plan and timeline for creating a virtual church program for MCC that functions synergistically with local churches.
Deliverable: Detailed proposed plan and timeline
Phase 3: Feasibility Testing
- Test the feasibility of the plan and make modifications as appropriate to meet our needs.
Deliverable: A final plan that can be agreed to by MCC
- Can effectively gather and synthesize information.
- Is proficient at the use of online sources for information gathering.
- Experienced with the use of social media as a tool for building awareness and community for not-for-profit and/or church communities.
- Experienced with developing mobile applications.
- Can effectively assess the quality of user experience with web sites, social media, and mobile applications.
- Is fluent in English.
- Can write and speak effectively in English about the use of technology.
- Can provide his/her own work tools, including but not limited to a phone, computer, and broadband Internet access.
- Is familiar with and respectful of MCC vision and values.
- Is a self-starter and works well without strict supervision.
- Able to travel.
The contractor will be compensated at up to $1,500 (USD) a month, commensurate with experience, for the duration of the contract. The position is not a hired staff position and therefore is not eligible for employment benefits.
The deadline for submission of applications is 15 February 2014. Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and a relevant resume to:
Rev. Elder Darlene Garner
Director, MCC Office of Emerging Ministries