MCC is dedicated to ecumenical and inter-faith work at the denominational level to build partnerships and awareness of MCC’s presence within other religious and faith traditions. The MCC Ecumenical & Inter-Faith Advisory Council aides in guiding MCC’s ecumenical and inter-faith dialogues with a global focus. Appointed by Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, Moderator of MCC, this team serves as a guide and reference for MCC’s historical ecumenical and inter-faith work.
The purpose of the Ecumenical & Inter-Faith Advisory Council is to (1) identify and seek ways in which MCC can engage with others to fulfill the goal of “proclaiming a spirituality that is liberating and sufficiently profound to address the issues of our complicated world” (MCC Statement of Direction), and (2) unite across denominational and religious lines to advocate an inclusive and genuine respect for the sacred worth of all people; to reduce human suffering; and to establish justice, peace and equality in the world.
As advisors to the Office of the Moderator, the Council will:
- As requested, provide input to the Senior Leadership Team, MCC staff, and the Governing Board on the potential impact of MCC programs, polices, and practices on MCC’s presence in local communities throughout the world, e.g., participation in local, national, or global councils.
- Recommend resources that will enable our churches to become faith communities that are not only more diverse within our own churches but are active participants in the communities in which we live.
- Propose strategies and partnerships that might help MCC lead in dialogues on inclusion, tolerance, and social justice in ecumenical and inter-faith contexts.
- Provide leadership and resources for local churches, MCC conferences and gatherings.
- Assist in development of MCC’s public position statements on matters related to ecumenism and inter-faith topics.