REV. RACHELLE D. BROWN
firstname.lastname@example.org Skype: Rev Rachelle Brown
Facebook: Rev. Rachelle Brown
Citizenship: United States
Ordination: Metropolitan Community Churches, July 15, 2007
The Reverend Rachelle D. Brown is a ministry leader who addresses challenges through strategic planning and brings creative energy that fuels action. Her interdisciplinary education and experience includes communications, marketing, systems theory, theology, and ethics. Rev. Brown employs a collaborative team-building model that inspires transformation. She uses both metrics and relationships to evaluate strategies and actions that emerge from clear objectives.
|Doctoral Studies||Theology, Human Sciences, and Ethics PhD Program
Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL
|Level II ACPE Chaplain||Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), St. Louis, MO||2006-2008|
|Master of Divinity||Eden Theological Seminary, St. Louis, MO||2004-2007|
|MA Communications||Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield, MO||1996-1998|
|BA Mass Media||College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, MO||1987-1991|
MCC Global Emerging Church Specialist, Office of Emerging Ministries
April 2014 – Present
- Developed a new program to form MCC Emerging Churches based on a blend of best practices from mission and activist movements.
- Created an Emerging Church Leader training curriculum offered virtually in a hybrid of synchronous and asynchronous formats. Over 45 participants enrolled; 35 completed the training.
- Networked with persons interested in developing a new MCC presence in a wide range of nations and entered discernment towards ministry goals.
- Oversaw the formation of 17 MCC Emerging Churches, of which MCC established a new presence in seven nations and three new states within the United States.
- Empowered leaders from outside and within MCC to develop a new MCC ministry presence.
- Recruited new potential leaders to consider MCC ministry.
North Central US Network Leader for Metropolitan Community Churches
May 2013 – June 2014
- Provided resources, support, and event planning for thirteen churches and ministries within the Network.
- Planned and presented two network gatherings while providing connectivity to network churches.
- Organized churches and volunteers to provide hospitality at the UFMCC General Conference in Chicago, IL, and assisted various churches in pastoral transition.
MCC General Conference Worship Team, MCC General Conference
June 2012 – July 2013
- Served on the General Conference Worship Team to envision the worship experience for nine worship services around the theme “Believe.”
- Collaboratively created liturgies in various forms including creation of original content. Coordinated volunteer participants and speakers.
Intentional Interim Pastor, aChurch4Me Metropolitan Community Church, Chicago, IL
September 2011 – February 2014
- Assisted congregation in transitioning from a founding pastor into a more established identity as a mission-oriented worshipping community.
- Managed fiduciary, administrative, personnel, and worship responsibilities.
- Provided weekly worship planning, served as moderator of the Board of Directors, strategic planning, coordination of volunteers and training ministry leaders.
- Led church to identify, and transition into, a stable worship location to meet both ministry and financial needs.
- Improved financial health of the congregation.
Intentional Interim Pastor, Metropolitan Community Church Illiana, Portage, Indiana
November 2008 – June 2011
- Led congregation in a transition from a founding pastor with just over 20 members into a vibrant, diverse church with over 50 members.
- Provided fiduciary, administrative, and worship management.
- Formed and executed a capital campaign for the purchase of a church building and acreage obtained May, 2010.
- Weekly preacher and worship leader.
- Acted as the Moderator of Board of Directors and established a Board of Trustees for property management.
Chaplain Resident, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
September 2007 – August 2008
Level II Chaplain for a Top 10 hospital in the U.S.
Responsibilities included coordination of spiritual care for over 150 patients and hospital staff on a daily basis, including grief facilitation, pastoral counsel, family meetings, crisis intervention, and weekly in-house on-call shifts in the Level 1 Trauma Center.
On-Call Chaplain, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
September 2006 – July 2007
In facility on-call providing spiritual care in cases death and dying, crisis and trauma in the Level 1 Trauma Center.
In Care Student Intern, MCC of Greater St. Louis, MO
September 2006 – June 2007
Participated in weekly worship, trained worship coordinators, co-developed a manual for lay-led congregational care ministry, and participated in training of ministry leaders.
Student Pastor, First Congregational Church, UCC, St. Louis, MO September 2005 – May 2006
Organized and facilitated the College Campus ministry outreach program to Washington University, and St. Louis University, through the Wesley Center, which included weekly small group studies fostering spirituality in young adults. Participated in weekly worship with FCC-UCC, planned occasional worship services, and preached as needed.
Center for Creative Conflict Resolution, St. Louis, MO
September 2004 – May 2006
Small group assistant and classroom facilitator for the Abuse Prevention Program (section for men), assisting perpetrators of domestic violence in rehabilitation and fostering emotional, personal, and spiritual transformation.
Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL 2013, 2014, Spring 2017
North American Religion, Adjunct Faculty, online and in-class
University of Phoenix, Chicago, IL; Schaumburg, IL; Mokena, IL Campuses 2012 – 2015
World Religion I, Abrahamic Traditions, Campus Faculty, in-class
World Religion II, Eastern Traditions, Campus Faculty, in-class
Introduction to Academic Writing, Campus Faculty, in-class
Gender 101 Workshop Facilitator 2013-2015
Gender education and transgender advocacy workshops offered in either one day or four-week meeting format. Provided free to community participants. Hosts for workshops included Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, IL, and First Unitarian, Evanston, IL.
Clergy and Laity Training Metropolitan Community Churches 2010 – 2014
- MCC Sexuality Studies Facilitator
- Student Clergy Supervisor
- Creating presentations, moderating panels and small group discussion for Network gatherings.
“History of Christian Thought” Chicago Theological Seminary Fall 2012
“North American Religions” Chicago Theological Seminary Spring 2009
“Constructive Theology” Eden Theological Seminary Spring 2007
Instructor/Lecturer Southwest Missouri State 1996 – 1998
Designed curriculum and taught multiple sections of “Introduction to Public Speaking” and “Introduction to Mass Media” courses.
PUBLICATIONS AND ACADEMIC PAPERS
MCC Sexualities and Spiritualities Virtual Conference, October 2015 – “B-T-P: Engaging an Intersectional Frontier”
July 2013 – Chapter “Beyond the Open Table” in the anthology Queering Christianity edited by Robert E. Shore-Goss, Thomas Bohache, Patrick S. Cheng and Mona F. West.
Society of Biblical Literature Central States, Spring 2008 – “The Constructing of US Theology on Gender, Sexuality and Identity”
May 2007 – Master of Divinity Thesis “Theological Intersections of Antebellum and Modern Periods: Through the context of St. Louis, Missouri” Eden Theological Seminary
Spring Convocation Lecture, 2006 Eden Theological Seminary – “Loving Our Neighbor as Ourselves: An Exploration in Relational Theological Anthropology”
November 1998 – Master of Communications Thesis “Cultural Resources in the United States: What Messages Are We Sending?” Southwest Missouri State University
Interactive Marketing Project Manager, Kupper Parker Communications, St. Louis, MO,
Oversaw and participated in strategic planning, campaign development and execution, project and budget management for national, regional, and local consumer and business-to-business clients. Specialized in the integration of messages and branding across multiple mediums.
Internet development and marketing, Business Website Professionals, Branson, MO,
Recruitment of clients, project and budget management for regional clients.
Radio Broadcaster and Music Director for multiple conglomerate media groups in Louisiana and Missouri, 1987-1999
On-air broadcaster, music director, assistant program director, and event management.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Clergy Student Supervisor and Mentor for MCC Seminary Students
- Metropolitan Community Churches, Ordained Minister in good standing since 2007
- Intentional Interim Specialist for UFMCC
- Member of the American Academy of Religion
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Board Member for Other Sheep, a multicultural ministry with sexual minorities since 2006
- MCC Good to Great Retreat participant, October 2013
- MCC Leadership Mentoring Retreat Graduate, April 2014
- Convener of MCC Polyamory Affinity Group, MCC General Conference, 2016
AWARDS AND HONORS
2007 Grauer Award, Eden Theological Seminary’s highest student honor offered by the seminary, nominated by the student body and voted on by faculty
2013 MCC Network Leader Award
SKILLS, INTERESTS, HOBBIES
Technology skills include but not limited to:
- Expertise with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, databases, Internet and Intranet systems, Blackboard and Moodle online learning components,
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom, audio and video recording and editing software
Intellectual interests: American history, archaeology, cultural studies, and critical theory
Hobbies: Nature photography and playing guitar