About Indiana Equality Action
Indiana Equality Action (IE Action) is an Indiana non-profit corporation consisting of individuals and organizations dedicated to advancing equal rights for and fighting discrimination against all Hoosier citizens regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Our current focus is advocating and lobbying against HJR-6, a proposed “Marriage Discrimination Amendment” to Indiana’s constitution. – See more at: http://www.indianaequalityaction.org
. In 2013/14, IE Action will work to prevent the passage of HJR-6 in the Indiana State House.
IE Action has immediate openings for a full-time Faith Organizers. We are looking for energetic and self-motivated individuals to join our existing team of organizers focused on preventing the passage this bill. The faith program includes work that builds strong relationships with clergy, people of faith and their faith communities, supports organizing initiatives, and manages volunteer teams of people of faith. The organizer will work on
activities designed to activate the faith community to prevent the passage of HJR-6 and activate faith supporters to contact their local elected officials to oppose the bill.
Faith Organizers will be focused on working side-by side and in collaboration with other organizers. They will also work closely with Field Director and communication department to set goals, show broad support across denomination, and activate clergy to lobby legislatures.
Organizers will work within communities throughout the state but will be based out of IE Action’s Indianapolis Headquarters. Reliable personal transportation and valid drivers license are required.
- Minimum two (2) years experience in working in a mobilizing communities of faith and clergy.
- Experience in grassroots and grass tops organizing, preferably within the faith community, including event production, coalition management and direct voter contact through door-to-door canvassing and phone banking.
- Experience in faith messaging, particularly around LGBTQ rights and equality.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, motivating, and training volunteers and paid staff.
- Grounding in faith community and faith organizing with the ability to understand people of faith and be able to speak with authenticity in the faith community; affiliation with a community of faith a plus as is a theological background.
- Ability to be a team player and work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends when projects demand it.
- Experience with tracking documents and voter databases.
- Curiosity about all aspects of the LGBT community. Prior experience working in LGBT community is strongly desired.
- Top-notch “people skills,” including excellent oral and written communication skills, are a must.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Work with the field department and local faith leaders to develop a strategic plan with concrete deliverables for the faith program of the campaign.
- Develop multi-faith statewide outreach strategy designed to engage people of faith and increase public opposition to HJR-6.
- Identify and cultivate allies among local religious and social justice faith groups for coalition building and to increase awareness about the field campaign and the effects of HJR-6 on Hoosiers and their families.
- Accurately track and assess leader and volunteer engagement.
- Attention to measurable results.
Positions available immediately. This is a short-term (6-8 months) position.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to: Kyle Megrath at
IE Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, personal appearance, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable law. Women, transgender people, veterans and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Indiana Equality Action, PO Box 20621, Indianapolis, IN 46220