National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force builds the power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community from the ground up. The Task Force is the country’s premier social justice organization fighting to improve the lives of LGBT people, and working to create positive, lasting change and opportunity for all.
The Communications Manager is a full-time position and will be housed at the Task Force’s Washington, D.C. office.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for the implementation of the organization’s online strategic communications plan as well as serve as a generalist in the communications department. A significant responsibility is in being able to code eblasts, forms, webpages, press releases and work with the Task Force database. In addition, this position will manage visual assets including the image archive and must be a whiz with the Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro. This position will be based in Washington, D.C. and will report to the organization’s Director of Communications.
- Performs general and specific communications, marketing and web-asset related duties.
- Coordinates and updates e-blast calendar, schedules e-blasts to segmented Task Force lists, and sends out weekly call for e-blast submissions from TF staff.
- Coordinates launch of e-blasts and online campaigns.
- Implements e-blasts and advocacy campaigns.
- Helps create and update forms, event pages, advocacy centers and other modules.
- Imports and exports data between fundraising and communication tools
- Works closely with the database administrator to ensure data integrity is maintained.
- Works with communications and membership teams to achieve effective targeting and testing for e-blasts.
- Troubleshoots e-blast non-deliveries.
- Creates all types of forms, including source codes.
- Sets-up e-blasts from start to finish.
- Manages images for web use.
- Other duties as assigned by communications director
- Significant project management skills and experience.
- Broad range of communications, marketing, design and technical web skills.
- Expert knowledge of HTML, word processing, database and spreadsheet programs.
- Other programming language experience such as php a plus.
- Extensive experience with a CRM such as Sphere, Luminate or equivalent and their interaction with Raiser’s Edge or equivalent, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro and other state of the art web and design applications.
- Experience working with FTP access to servers.
- Knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and its issues nationally and regionally.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment where commitment to diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and physical ability is an important institutional value.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
Must be able to:
- Write compelling copy for a news release, blog or action alert.
- Code a stellar eblast that conforms to our brand book and style guide.
- Follow and enforce a brand and style guide.
- Work with the communications team and take initiative to ensure the Task Force is on the cutting edge of digital communications.
- Update the website including coding in HTML.
- Pitch a story to the media.
- Create forms quickly, including registration forms, with proper code and design.
- Create heavily stylized HTML.
- Use and produce pages in the Gala module.
- Manage images for our online assets.
- Pinch hit for other members of the communications department including talking to press and managing social media accounts.
- Troubleshoot and take initiative.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience. Provides excellent benefits — health, dental and vision insurance; annual and sick leave; 403(b) plan with employer contributions.
This position is part of our collective bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in being a member of the Task Force staff, a resume addressing your experience and qualifications relevant to the position responsibilities and three examples of your work. If possible, please submit the names, affiliations and contact information for three references. Applications submitted via e-mail for this position should be directed to hr@theTaskForce.org; please write “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
The Task Force is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, personal appearance, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable law. Women, transgender people, veterans and people of color are encouraged to apply.